Purpose and Background of the Research
The human brain is programmed with a system for estimating the socialstatus of others.
And the criteria for judging social status will vary depending on thesituation and community.
So usually, a person's social status is not constant and goes up and down.
However, some people continue to maintain a high status even as theircircumstances and communities change.
Past researches have shown that the trait that such people ofconsistently high social status possess is sociability.
This study looked again at what characteristics enhance social status.
|Type of Research
|Number of experiments conducted
|Children aged 9 to 12 years old.
In the first study, 306 girls and 305 boys were involved in the study.
The second study involved 363 girls and 299 boys.
|Outline of the experiment
- The trait most associated with social status is the trait of being funto be with.
- People who are fun to be with show the following trends eight weeksafter the initial vote enacted.
- Social status is further enhanced.
- The level of fun to be with is further enhanced.
- If you want to increase your social status, it might be more efficientto make people think you're fun to be with.
- People who are fun to be with get the following virtuous cycle.
- Social status is increased.
- Become an even more fun person to be with thanks to the increasedsocial status.
- According to this study, people who are fun to be with are thought tohave the following characteristics.
- High mental flexibility.
- High curiosity.
- Low neurotic tendency.
In a nutshell, it's someone who can properly control their ego andcope with stressful situations.
|Brett et al., 2020
|Florida Atlantic University et al.